Student Handbook - Appendix D
OAKMONT REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL
Technology Acceptable Use Policy
Ashburnham Westminster Regional School District provides technology and Internet-based tools to increase community engagement, staff, and student learning, and core operational efficiency. Access to technology provided by Ashburnham Westminster Regional School District requires responsible, courteous, efficient, and legal use. Our goal in providing access to these resources is to enhance learning experiences and to educate students in responsible and appropriate use.
I UNDERSTAND THAT:
- Files, data, & activity accessed through district-provided devices and networks are not private. AWRSD has the right to monitor, inspect, copy, review and store at any time and without prior notice any and all usage of the computer network and Internet access. All files are the property of the District and no user shall have any expectation of privacy regarding such files.
- AWRSD uses a filtering system designed to prevent access to educationally inappropriate sites, including those that contain material that is obscene, pornographic, or potentially harmful to minors. However, it is important to understand that no solution is perfect and AWRSD cannot guarantee that students, staff, & community might not access an inappropriate site. It is the individual’s responsibility to alert staff of educationally inappropriate content access.
- Information posted on the internet is public, permanent, and needs to be appropriate. The use of the Internet is a privilege and inappropriate use may result in loss of those privileges. The system administrators will deem what is inappropriate use and that their decisions are final. The system administrators may terminate Internet access of any user, without warning, at any time as deemed required.
I AGREE TO:
- Use digital devices, software, and networks for educational purposes and activities.
- Refrain from accessing any instant messaging, newsgroups, links, listservs, or other areas of cyberspace that would be offensive to any students, teachers, or parents because of sexual content; racial, ethnic, or minority disparagement; encouragement of violence; or illicit/illegal content. I will not use proxy servers to access restricted websites.
- NOT download games, music, graphics, videos, software programs, or text materials that are copyrighted. I accept responsibility for keeping unlicensed/copyrighted software from entering the school via the Internet.
- Give acknowledgment to others for their ideas and work. Plagiarism is unacceptable. If I use text, pictures, video, and audio resources created by others, I will always give the author or original creator credit. I accept responsibility for using downloaded text in an appropriate manner. I will not post, distribute, or use any materials without permission from their original creator.
- Show respect for myself and others when using technology including social media. I will be courteous and use appropriate language. I will refrain from swearing or using any forms of obscene, harassing, bullying, or abusive language. If I am a victim of such harassment, I will report the abuse immediately to an administrator, teacher, or counselor.
- Keep my personal information (including home/mobile phone numbers, mailing addresses, and usernames and passwords) and that of others private. 7. Not take photos, videos, or screenshots of any student, teacher, or administrator.
- Report inappropriate use of technology immediately.